Tesserae from the island’s distant and contemporary history can be found scattered all over the island. Argostoli’s trademark is the Drapano Bridge (1813), which joins the city with the other side of the Koutavo lagoon. The bridge was constructed by the British and was restored after the earthquake according to plans of Takis Pavlatos, Civil Engineer. The Column situated midway, stands as a monument in honour of the British and has endured its fair share of “hardships” given that during World War II Italian troops would use it as a shooting target! Furthermore, when in Argostoli don’t miss out on visiting the church of Aghios Spyridonas with the exceptional gold-plated wood carved iconostasis and the Cabana Square. This Square, where the Kefalonians burnt the “Bible of the Aristocrats” on 1797; is renowned for its clock-tower, which was rebuilt after the earthquakes, and is identical to the previousone. For the admirers of architecture, the Kosmetatos Residence on Vas. Georgiou Street adorned by palm trees constitutes one of the few manors that were not affected by the earthquake.
The most significant historical museum on Kefalonia is possibly the grand Venetian Fortress of St Georgios, which is located at Travliata, the former capital. The fortress was most probably constructed during the Byzantine period, although the Venetians (1504), gave it its current form. In the past, it had enclosed many private and public buildings in its interior, whereas today the rampart, the enclosure and the “Old Fortress” situated at the top of the cliff have been preserved. Furthermore, the island has yet another impressive fortress, the Fortress of Assos, which was built by the Venetians at the end of the 16th century in order to protect from pirates raids. These days the vaulted entrance and the walls that follow along the uneven terrain remain in good condition and the view of the natural landscape is magnificent!
The well-preserved Vaulted Mycenaean tomb is yet another significant monument and it is situated just outside the Tzanata village. The tomb, which is 6.80m in diameter, is that of a high-ranking officer (13th century BC). Many other findings from the excavation signify that there was a Mycenaen civilization in this area. The preserved roman manor (3rd century) with its remarkable mosaic floors and inscriptions just outside of the Skala village is also worth seeing.
It is also worth visiting the Lighthouse of Aghii Theodori, an elegant, circular building with a lighthouse, rebuilt after the earthquake; the Division Acqui monument that stands on a hill with an amazing view as well as the grand walls of the Ancient City of Krani (7th century BC) set on the hill in current day Krania village, all of which are located on the outskirts of Argostoli. In the broader area, close to the Koutavos lagoon, the watertower (19th century) and findings of a Doric temple, dedicated in honour of goddess Demeter has also been preserved.